FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is it like to stay at a Hilton Hotel after lockdown?
Old Jun 12, 2020, 12:19 pm
Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
You gotta love TRU during the 'rona... Everything is an easy-to-clean hard surface, like an Ikea-Dorm room.

I just got back from a quick trip to Yellowstone National Park yesterday, which was nice because the crowds haven't hit yet -- everything was easy and traffic-free! (Saw a few grey wolves, pronghorn, geysers, roads blocked by bison, etc. Whee!)

Anyway, I stayed at the TRU Idaho Falls, ID on the way there (there's no Hilton properties closer other than a Hampton a half-hour up the road in Rexburg).

Staff wore masks. Gym was appointment only, as was the swimming pool. I assume after each use, it's sprayed down or something. The lobby was open to sit down and eat in, as we saw people doing, but the pool table game area was closed.

Room looked immaculate, but that's also made easier with softsoap/shampoo/conditioner mounted to the wall in the shower, no carpets, etc. Didn't see any note on how the TV remote or whatnot was sanitized, but there's so little in the room, a quick lysol wipe would cover anything you'd touch.
(Side note: I like the smells and quality of their oddly named soap brand!)

TRU breakfast was reduced to a to-go bag chock full of mystery treats and single-use plastics: A little tub of Yoplait, a Dole fruit cup, bagel (untoasted, no way to heat), bottled water, some other stuff. I was bummed that the waffle boats and other hot breakfast items weren't available at all. However, they had hot water, coffee, decaf, flavored Torani sweeteners, all accessible and with a line of guests handling all the pumps and handles. How it's okay handles on the coffee thermoses, but not a toaster for your bagel, or a real hot breakfast... not sure if that's financial or "COVID".
Next door, there's a HGI that was serving full sit down breakfast. I suppose they're concerned about customers handling the food/serving utensils on the "35 item waffle topping bar" -- 35 LADLES: 35 CHANCES FOR DEATH!!!

Anyway, I'm just happy to be gettin' my Hilton on again, but when breakfast is available, I'll make choices based on things other than price. Right now, the difference between properties is minimized with no Diamond benefits as relates to breakfast.