FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - London Marriott County Hall, UK [Master Thread]
Old Sep 25, 2004, 7:36 am
jerseyfinn

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
The County Hall Myth

The £40 supplement buys a view of Ben and Parliament and is worth the additional cost simply for the experience of being able to look out the window at the Thames.

Brian and Chuckles raise some interesting points about County Hall as I too am not especially fond of the property either. Please don't take my remarks as County Hall bashing, but after several London visits, my wife and I have been to enough London Marriotts to notice a significant difference between these properties and County Hall.

For me, the problem with County Hall is that there is a subtle, pretentious attitude which pervades the property, and this, combined with the expensive prices, makes for a less satisfying experience there. Mind you, the employees are perfunctory and always polite, and the service prompt, but I've always had a sense of "sterility" and "diffidance" when visitng County Hall which is lacking at many of the other London Marriotts ( Chancery Court being an example of a cozy and warm London Marriott hotel experience ).

As Brian suggests, one has to wonder why County Hall is designated as a category 7 property because other than the location on the Thames, there is nothing compelling about the property other than its high prices. I've never had dinner at County Hall because the prices are simply outrageous (unless you are on an expense account, in which case, eat up!). And while the restaurant faces the Thames, there are no views of the river out the windows. The rooms are ample and nicely appointed in my opinion however.

In an odd way, County Hall is an isolated property. Yes, Waterloo Station and Westminster stations are but a 5 minute walk from the hotel. But as it sits, County Hall is all by itself in a cluttered and cloistered spot away from restaurants, shops, and pubs. Yes, the Aquarium and Dali museums are there along with an arcade and a McDonalds ( ), but the property just doesn't have the same feel or ambiance as many other London Marriotts.

So why go to County Hall? Well, a family doing a London visit could enjoy the proximity of tourist spots such as the London Eye, the river walk, and Big Ben and quick access to the Underground. Be forewarned about the extreme prices lurking in the restaurant however. The best deal for a County Hall stay is to utilize MR points and pay the £ 40 supplement for a Thames River view.

I'm not tring to give County Hall a as much as I'm saying that there are lots of London Marriott properties to choose from and that one needs to pick and choose carefully since CH has both plusses and many minuses. Given the high prices at CH, one should consider precisely the kind of UK trip that they want. County Hall may or may not fit one's expectations.

Barry