FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I never thought reaching Gold would be so sad
Old Jun 10, 2020, 9:41 am
The Geek

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by cameramaker
But would you want to be shuttling between Abu Dhabi and Jakarta, Heathrow and Sofia, Gatwick and Tirana, Bucharest and Phoenix?

Surely if you’re dropping that amount of cash on flying, it needs to be with some other purpose?
In normal times Mrs Geek & I are lucky enough to get away once a month on average flying mostly J LH and Y SH. { About half of that with friends / family. }

Quite accidentally fell into the status game in late 2018 when the BA bargain AMS - BKK flights came up. We were already utilising Priority Pass at this point, and already had a bargain MH J fare booked to Sydney the following month. I somehow found BAEC and the penny dropped that those Sydney flights alone netted us enough tier points for Silver. We are very value conscious and Silver is worth £30+ per sector { Gold £40+ } to us and a guest when flying Y, and for the most part turns the airport experience from excruciating pain to a fun part of the holiday. In terms of product / price combination for us it can't be touched by any other omnipresent UK carrier.

So hypothetically I would spend 4 days doing Sofia back to backs every 2 years to maintain silver if the value was there. However with a little strategic planning on destinations & routing we manage it without the pain that some go through here, and that's the fun part of the game. I'm sure by the time I've finished playing it, we will have been to every "value" 80tp destination in Europe for a long weekend at least twice and lose count of the number of times we've gone to the far east via Scnadinavia and Doha.

Last edited by The Geek; Jun 10, 2020 at 9:48 am