FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA to cut up to 12,000 jobs in "restructuring and redundancy programme"
Old Jun 6, 2020, 8:21 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
The "We are not talking to you until you withdraw S188 notices" approach does not work for me. There are few days left of the original 45, and not a serious word has been spoken between the parties. The concessions that BA were prepared to make to the TUs will be gone.
Or BA will give them out magnanimously. Unless a Court gives a most unlikely reprieve.
After 15/6, BA will get on with what they wanted to do..............
As I said upthread, this was the exact tactic used by Arthur Scargill, the hard-left former leader of the NUM in the terrible miners dispute of the mid-80s. Flatly refused to engage with the coal board (NCB) until they withdrew the closure of ALL the pits they had earmarked to close because they were simply no longer economic to mine. The NCB were certainly willing to compromise and make the closures much more phased and enhance redundancy terms but Scargill flatly refused to even talk with them.

The result of the union stance was the closures then happened but to the original and much quicker NCB plan and the redundant miners did not come out with the enhanced terms the NCB had been prepared to offer. Scargill will go to his grave feeling he tried to stop ALL the pit closures on behalf of his members, failing to recognise that it was inevitable with demand for coal steadily falling year-on-year and that his role was to get the absolute best for his members in light of this.

Fast forward to 2020.......nothing has been learned in the TU movement.