FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Etihad Airways new Aeroplan partner as of May 1, 2019
Old Jun 4, 2020, 10:56 pm
canadiancow
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I think the difference is at least in that case, there was a glitch with LX, the space wasn't supposed to be made available. And LX F space generally isn't made available. Not that the general public would know that, but certainly the FT community knows about that kind of stuff.

If AC were simply retroactively changing the routing rules to cancel some tickets, that's different, and dirtier, in my view. They didn't publicize any restrictions on routes, and has been pointed out upthread, things like SYD-AUH-NYC are well within MPM, so even sophisticated people had no real reason to suspect it wasn't legit.
EY F space also generally isn't made available. I don't see much difference between booking EY F the day it becomes available and booking LX F. My LX F bookings were made over the phone, so if it were "against the rules", an agent could have said no.

My EY F bookings (I think I'm at 5 booked, 4 refunded) have all been made online, so there's actually more of an argument that EY F is simply a mistake.

I still haven't seen any official guidance that redeeming on EY is permitted (if I've missed this, then my apologies). In fact, it crashes the Aeroplan Android app, which one could assume means it's just a bug.

Heck, EY isn't *A, and the only other obvious non-*A partner you can redeem for (CX) requires calling in.

So while I don't actually believe this conclusion, it's much more likely that EY F is a glitch than that LX F was a glitch.