FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bethany Beach Ocean Suites Residence Inn, DE [Master Thread]
Old Jun 4, 2020, 1:22 pm
TWA Guy

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
I had a second stay their last July. Overall still a very nice property. One change I didn't like, they now also sell breakfast in the restaurant in addition to the complimentary RI Breakfast. The net result was it was more difficult to get a table on the outside veranda for breakfast. On the upside, we stayed late the last day and I had no problem getting a 1PM checkout and permission to keep my car in their garage until late afternoon.

I believe the point cost for this property has crossed the threshold for what I consider to be a good value. So I am no longer looking at it for cash or points. My wife also wants to go back to Myrtle again (where she always went with her family during her childhood and where we have had many trips with her side of the family). In any case, point value is a personal decision. In general, breakfast issue aside, this still a quite nice property

--Jon

P.S. Off the Hook took over the adjacent storefront and totally renovated and is now twice the original size. Food and service are still very good. In fact we enjoyed dining there more than Blue Point. Blue Point food is consistent and very good; however, service is almost overbearing. There is a subtle feel that they are trying to turn the tables over quickly for the next guest. Bottomline for us, next time we are in Bethany Beach, we will skip Blue Point and just do Off the Hook twice.

P.P.S. If you're into nature, Assateague Island is very easy day trip to go see the wild ponies and do some light coastal hiking (or kayaking). There are good swimming beaches there as well but we didn't use them. On the way back to Bethany there are some small towns to stop at if, if you're looking for a chance of pace for restaurants for dinner. IIRC we stopped at The Atlantic Hotel in Berlin, MD for dinner. Food was decent but not wow. Regardless it was a nice change of pace from the usuals in Bethany. There were a number of other decent looking restaurants in the town. There is a cluster of them in a couple of block area so you can just walk and choose the one that suits your fancy.
Thanks for the response!