FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL1327 diverts to YXY
View Single Post
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:00 pm
miguel0881

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
Originally Posted by WindowSeatFlyer
I asked a UA FA making a direct turn at YYZ if she had to go through Canadian arrival and then US preclearance, and she told me that as long as the crew stayed onboard, they could return to the US without needing to go through immigration at the US arrival airport. Think about it, if all passengers who went through US preclearance at a Canadian airport can arrive as “domestic” passengers at the US airport, exactly how would the CBP enforce immigration checks for the crew?
That could be a special rule for Canadian pre-clearance airports. I do not believe it applies to any other direct turn markets.

Originally Posted by WindowSeatFlyer
Now you’re just mixing things up... You talk about crews having to go through US immigration when making direct turns in the US, and then try to apply that to YTZ...

I was talking about flights from the US making a quick turnaround at Canadian airport and returning to the US, not flights from Mexico/Canada turning around at a US airport.
US airports, with their lack of “International” transfer areas and requiring everyone to clear US immigration even if someone is arriving on an international flight and leaving on another international flight, work differently from airports/countries that allow passengers to transfer between international flights without clearing immigration and entering the country.
Not at all. The original discussion was whether someone arriving in the US from an international destination must be screened. The answer is yes, as the experience of PD flight crews making direct turns in the US from YTZ (a non pre-clearance airport) shows. Flight crews making direct turns from YYZ and other similar destinations also presumably pass through US pre-clearance.