FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which countries are open for US tourists?
Old Jun 2, 2020, 5:52 pm
IstKong

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I would not take that for granted yet (I mean travel from the US to Greece from June 15). Greece cannot decide alone to allow non-Schengen visitors. The decision is coordinated at EU level. June 15 is the current date until when Schengen borders are closed and a decision will be taken to lift or extend the restrictions. If lifted, it could be for some countries only, and this decision will be also taken at EU level. And EU will want some reciprocity (if Americans are allowed in EU, Europeans will have to be allowed in the US). Don’t get me wrong, I sincerely hope it will happen, but I just want to “warn” you that nothing is certain yet.
Well, the measures most EU-members states took at the beginning were not coordinated. The EU treaties and coordination measures, not only regarding immigration, de facto ended at the beginning of the pandemic.

I won't be surprised if Greece decides alone to save their vital summer season by allowing EU and some non EU members citizens to come there, despite EU injunctions.
This can lead to EU reopening entirely with the pressure of countries like Greece, or sign the end of free movement as we knew it before de pandemic, with each country implementing their own rule (like it is the case since march de facto).

I'm mostly optimistic and I think we will travel freely within Europe after 15th of June, then, quickly between north america and Europe by July if there is still no evidence of a second wave by then.

There are big politics playing in Europe touristic countries like Greece and their populations won't accept to be ruined by EU sacred unity in borders reopening despite having managed to contain the virus better than Europe wealthier nations.

What is worrying me the most, is that Italy is now open to most EU tourists as we speak, but the flights offer is very very weak. It seems that there is no demand for travel even when the restrictions are lifted, and this is leading to very few flights available, and extremely expensive tickets (like 400€+ CDG/MXP this week, which is crazy).

Travel restrictions will be lifted I think way before peoples will be wanting to travel again.

By the way, Mexico is still open for everyone including European with the same conditions of entry as usual, and most hotels are open. But there is no surge in demand for tourism there, and it is understandable : fear of infection, fear of quarantaine, fear of flights canceled, and of closure/ghost resorts town. It will take many years before reaching 2019 levels unfortunately. Travelers need confidence they will not be getting before 2021.

Last edited by IstKong; Jun 2, 2020 at 5:59 pm