FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL1327 diverts to YXY
View Single Post
Old Jun 2, 2020, 2:29 pm
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
There is actually an FAA publication, which I assume all of the major carriers must mirror, plus any other airport they feel warrants additional training.

https://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx...C%20QA-May2018

but the heavy hitters are pretty much all of the Ski Country markets (JAC/EGE/HDN/MTJ/BZN) & anything else with obstructions or mountainous terrain. GIG/UIO/BOG/GUA/SJO/TGU/STT/SXM are the big int'l ones. DCA for the short runway and airspace procedures. I think DL has several "levels" of special qual importance, and the level of training and currency escalates depending on the level. IE, Ontario CA is technically special qual, but nobody is doing sim rides or riding with a line check airman to be able to fly to ONT. Places like EGE and SJO, different story. I am not sure where JNU falls on that spectrum.
EZE seems to require some minor level of special pilot training. Ages ago I sat next to an A330 pilot on the ATL-EZE DL flight on a 767, IIRC we had seats 1C and 1G in the center section, and when we were chatting a bit during dinner service he told me that he was riding along to observe the landing in preparation for flying the A330 there himself. He went to the cockpit about an hour before landing. This was a shortly before DL put the A330 on this route for high season and the flight would have been late August, but I'm afraid to try to guess the year.