FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta MD-88/90 Retirement Tracking Thread
Old Jun 2, 2020, 1:07 pm
GagaPilot

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by BenA
My rough experiences were ~5-7 years ago, back when Delta was trying to use the MD-90 for longer segments - it was a staple of SEA-MSP for a while, which is when I had my streak of bad luck. That was also right around the time they expanded the fleet with new acquisitions from other airlines.

The onboard experience, which could be charming on a short haul, also wore out its welcome on a 3.5+ hour flight.

In the later years, they seemed to stay confined to out and backs from ATL, and I think that really helped the reliability because they could transparently swap new aircraft for broken ones without passengers realizing what had happened.
My last MD90 flight was Dec 2019, ATL-ECP, and this is exactly what happened. Last minute mechanical found by the crew just before boarding and then a mad dash a few gates down to another one. Still left right on time.

My final MD88 flight was a few days later, ECP-ATL, and got the UG up front. Still amazed at how quiet F can be with the engines so far away.

The further back I think the longer routes I can recall (DAY, LGA, PWM, DFW, MCO) all ex-ATL. In the last few years just very short hops (ECP, TLH, BNA). Thanks for the memories... fairwell MDs!