FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jun 1, 2020, 11:32 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
16. (1988) It used to be if you lived on the peninsula and wanted to fly from San Francisco to Indianapolis, you’d call TWA. These days TWA doesn’t even offer direct flights out of SFO to Indy. In fact, only one airline offers a single daily nonstop flight. That’s the one you want. Identify the airline and aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

USAir, Boeing 737-300

That's the ticket, Mr. T! Here's the schedule:

US Air AL 106 San Franciisco (SFO) 745a-148p B Indianapolis (IND) 737-300 Daily

I am unlucky enough never to have flown aboard a VC-10, Caravelle, or Mercure. However, I've seen possibly two VC-10's before and looked inside a former Gulf Air VC-10 in a museum. The overhead compartments look familiar. I once had a theoretical chance of flying aboard a Dassault Mercure but never booked a flight. Darn. I even knew about the schedule and the possibility but didn't act on it.

Yeah - life's too short to take a lot of these things for granted. I could've booked myself on a VC10 back in the ate 70s (BDA-NAS or NAS-MEX) but put it off and suddenly, the VC10 was relegated to museums.