FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Starwood, WOW!
Thread: Starwood, WOW!
View Single Post
Old Sep 23, 2004, 11:47 pm
DENPremEx

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat
Starwood, WOW!

I just came over from the other side (Marriott) and I can't belive how much nicer *Wood treats thier guests.

I checked into the MSP Airport Marriott on Tuesday, received the same drab, unenthusiastic greeting I've been receiving for years as a Plat. I'm given an uninspiring room on the second floor. My profile indicates a "High Floor", that's one of the choices Marriott gives you for preferred room location, or my request for a corner room (in the comment section). Needless to say this wasn't on the concierge floor. I asked the lady about a room on the concierge floor and she informed me "Those people pay extra for those rooms." I won't bore you with more details (there are many).

Last week I was in El Paso and I received a room on the first floor and almost no acknowledgement of Plat status. Marriott never seems to look at your room preferences or requests at all so by the time I get to my room (in MSP) I decide I have had it with Marriott and I call *Wood. I nicely informed the lady of my situation and she gave me the number to the Plat line. I contacted them, gave them my user name and password to Marriott.com and within 30 minutes had an email welcoming me to *Wood and comping me Plat status.

I made a reservation at the Sheraton Bloomington and checked out of the Marriott the next morning. My stay at the Sheraton was great. Everyone was infinitely more friendly than at the Marriott and I'm never going back. I never realized how good SPGs have it! Wish I made the move sooner, now I have to figure out what to do with 300,000 Marriott points.