FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Earlier demise of "The Bayer Express"
View Single Post
Old Sep 23, 2004, 10:10 pm
chicagorich
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow PIT isn't what it used to be...

Originally Posted by chalf
Perhaps someone could run flights akin to what CO is doing on the long thin routes such as EWR-OSL, EWR-EDI and others, with an internationally configured 757. Perhaps ATA should reconfigure a few of its 757-200s for its potential transatlantic low cost service...though if they have the range, based on existing operations a base at IND is probably more likely (even if less O&D).

I unfortunately don't see PIT supporting an O&D only route to Europe, particularly when connectins at EWR, ORD and IAD are easy. A few PIT-JFK flights on AA would significantly improve the competitive environment--AA is barely viable for transatlantic service from PIT currently. One must backtrack to either ORD or DFW (which is significantly longer for flights to Europe). UA at IAD and CO at EWR are the best options, with DL via CVG not bad for convenience (though frequency to London is poor).
---------------------------------------

I grew up in PIT and know first hand the troubles it is currently experiencing even though I don't live in PIT any more.

Forty years ago, PIT was the third largest corporate headquarter city in the country. US Steel, Gulf Oil, Westinghouse, Koppers, etc, etc.

When that critical mass of corporate power was located in PIT, the ability to attract airlines to provide service would have been easy.

Unfortunately for PIT, at that point, airline regulation was still in place--so the dominant airline there became what is USAIR today.

In retrospect, it may not have mattered if it would have been United or TWA as the dominant carrier in the 1960's given today's airline industry.

But PIT has fallen down the ladder of corporate headquarters through the decline of manufacturing and steel and the impact of mergers.

No more Westinghouse, Gulf Oil, various steel companies, etc.

The brutal fact is that PIT does not generate the level of influence that it might have 40 years ago.

It will be hard to lure carriers to PIT airport to replace what had been there with USAIR