FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pet Travel Between US and Philippines
View Single Post
Old May 31, 2020, 11:15 am
7oarfa2x

Pet Travel Between US and Philippines

Good day all.

Within the last half of 2020 I am expecting to travel to Manila (Philippines). This will be my first international flight and my first flight period since, probably, the early 90s. So calling me any type of "veteran" flyer would be a huge misstatement. Consequently I am having to (re)acquaint myself with the many rules and regulations. So far it's going fairly well.

That said, I have one major concern for which I am requesting assistance: I'll be taking my two small dogs (just shy of 30 pounds each). And this will be, as far as I know, their first time flying. (I adopted them some seven years ago and know they've not flown while they've been in my family.)

My research so far indicates that IATA-approved crates are required; those should be relatively easy to get. But I am concerned about the overall travel time. I calculate at least 8 hours before we even get on a plane (even though most of that will not be in a crate but rather just travel to the airport). Then some 30 hours (give or take; more like "give") in the plane and terminals. So we're pushing 40 hours. I know I wouldn't want to be cooped up in a plane for that long, much less in a crate.

Anyway, all of this has me searching for the flight(s) with the least amount of travel time that come in at a price that I think is reasonable/necessary for us all. My dogs' safety and comfort is the priority, but that's not a "money is no object" proposition. So I'm trying to find a balance here, specifically an airline (and their code-share partners) that has a great reputation for dealing with pets, AND has travel times on the shorter end AND won't require either an arm or leg as payment.

So my first request is of anyone who has any definitive experience with this issue, especially in regards to travel between the US and Philippines.

I'd be grateful for whatever guidance folks can give me. Thank you!

P.S. If this post really belongs somewhere else please feel free to suggest. Thanks.

Last edited by 7oarfa2x; May 31, 2020 at 11:15 am Reason: Add information.