FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences
Old May 29, 2020, 6:34 am
mvtm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Did that work for you? They gave me the same information in the branch, but when I called about it, no one had even heard about it.
It was also not clear if you’d have to hold a Citi account elsewhere (like with Amex Global Transfer) or not. The branch rep said no, they just pull your credit in your home country, but someone else told me it only works if there’s a Citi subsidiary in that country. Citi closed down in Germany a couple years ago.
Yes this worked for me 2 years ago. I believe it can only work US in-branch. I sat down with my banker after holding an US Citigold account for 8 years and as i've never had a card told him if at this time i could get one. He was like.... yes you can do it... you just need to bring me Passport and a Letterhead proof of income, it doesn't matter if it's from abroad and we'll see if you get approved. He was not sure about the whole thing so i applied for middle entry card instead of the top ones.

Between my time of application in-branch and having my card up and running - 2 months passed. After receiving the email i was approved, i had to wait a physical letter to my US address with a code that i had to tell Citi. Then i had to call-in Citi for the AAdvantage card to be linked to my Citi account as this time it was not done automatically. I've never had problems with the card, working perfectly.

Then after 10 months of holding the AAdvantage Platinum card i went in again and spoke to my branch manager. I told him i was surprised of getting approved to this AA cc and he told me it was normal, that at that time they processed the application through their global client program. I still was not aware of this, so he handed me that piece of paper... and told me i could apply to any card there... while talking to him, i tried again. And this time i applied for my 2nd card that was a Citi Prestige. My Citi Prestige process was much smoother than my AA card, i was not asked any documentation... approved a few days later and received my card pretty fast and linked to my account in about a week of applying versus the 2 months it got my AA card to get work.

I believe it must be done in person and in the States, my branch manager also explained me that the minimum banking relationship length needed was 3 months. Though i believe any type of Citi account can get it, it doesn't have to be a Citi Priority, Citigold. I think even the basic banking package works but what is more important is the length of time you had your account in good standing. That's the only bit he disclosed about the program. I don't know about applying with Citi accounts outside the US. I only had credit history in my home country Venezuela at that time, nothing else. (with a domestic bank, not Citi Venezuela)