FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old May 25, 2020, 3:16 pm
WHBM

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
I do not think anyone ever responded to this. I meant to but never got around to it. So here we go.....
Originally Posted by jlemon

British Eagle operating Vickers Viscount service from the airport located near Chester (which most likely has a name but I'm not sure what it is).
Originally Posted by Herb687
That must be the airport where early Hawker Siddeley 125s were built. Interestingly, even after Raytheon bought the HS125 bizjet line from BAe and continued to improve/upgrade it (Hawker 800XP, Hawker 900, etc.), fuselages were still built at Chester and shipped to Wichita for the rest of the aircraft to be assembled.
Both correct. The airport was known indeed by a couple of names, Chester (code CEG) being one of them, but that city is in a different country ... the border between England and Wales runs up the east side of the airfield. Often also known as Hawarden, or Broughton, two nearby towns.

It has an interesting and long history, built by the De Havilland company in early WW2, there was surplus labour there from a local coal mining industry in terminal decline. Many De Havilland types were built there, often shared with their traditional plant at Hatfield near north London. Many Dove and Heron feederliners came from there, also about half the Comets, as stated the HS125, and they did a lot of subcontract and component work as well. Eventually they got a significant part of Airbus work, and today every Airbus wing, plus all their advanced wing design work, is done there. The adapted Airbus A300 outsize transporters are a daily sight there, coming in over Liverpool airport by when they probably have the runway in sight, even though it's across two major estuaries. There's also a daily "scheduled" corporate flight to the Airbus plants in Hamburg and Toulouse, and probably elsewhere, which has been contracted out to a variety of airlines over time - a few years ago I took an Eastern Airways Saab 2000 from London City to Isle of Man, which was standing in for the normal BA liveried one, and in the seat pocket was a boarding card from the previous day for Hamburg to Chester.

Last edited by WHBM; May 25, 2020 at 3:23 pm