FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus and masks/face coverings [Consolidated thread]
Old May 24, 2020, 12:16 pm
chipmaster

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by radonc1
How well do people put N95 masks on? Apparently, not so well, according to this research report.
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...m_medium=email

"The survey was administered to 2499 households. Of these, 268 households were excluded because they did not meet the inclusion criteria. Among the remaining 2231 households, 714 (32.0%) completed the survey, 541 (24.2%) declined to be surveyed, and 976 (43.7%) did not respond. There were slightly more women participants (382 women [53.5%]). Most participants were aged 41 to 65 years (356 participants [49.9%]) and were of Chinese ethnicity (514 participants [72.0%]) (Table 1). Only 90 participants (12.6%; 95% CI, 10.3%-15.3%) passed the VMF test.

"Our study found a low N95 VMF pass rate of 12.6%. The observation that reading pictorial instructions was not associated with increased VMF pass rates may suggest an inherent complexity to N95 mask wearing."
VMF=Visual mask fit

As I have said, wearing masks is not for the user, but for the people surrounding the user. Putting on and taking masks off correctly requires more than visual or minimal instructions. This however should not deter people from using masks. However, wasting money on fancy N95 masks can probably be avoided unless one is in a clinical situation where such PPE is needed.
I think one can find something less than perfect with almost anything, now given a choice would YOU rather be walking and mingling closely with a crowd of people with NO Mask, ones with the cheap surgical and / or cloth ones, or a bunch of similar bunched people with not perfectly fitted N95, do tell which ?

These days N95 are still pricey and likely harder to get, I'm skeptical today that for those that do wear N95 that is measurably going to take away that valuable PPE from the medical community like it did 4-6 weeks ago. Are they still hard to come by but not like before, so the argument against N95 is really very academic, I'd opt for the best for myself and protection of others!

I had to do a honey to do run to Home Depot yesterday, I'd say 3/4ths were the surgical/cloth etc. and surprisingly 1/4 was N95 most with valve. I am wearing a N95 no valve more because I secured 16 1st week of January. I've used/built a homemade out of scarves and my son's custom with built in but replaceable filter ( with valve ) and extensively used the N95 with valve in China for years. If I was to judge based on airflow resistance both in and out the N95 even when I fit it poorly for protecting me is best, sure for outflow filter the one with valve is less in trapping droplets but still redirects the flow, all it takes is for you to feel it to understand it is far better, safer and caring to your fellow human than the no mask right wing freedom lovers;-)

Any mask is better than no mask, and tight fitting N95 no valve is best, LOL

Last edited by chipmaster; May 24, 2020 at 12:27 pm