FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - So what exactly is the “value” of your booking with a confirmed Elite Upgrade?
Old May 22, 2020, 9:46 pm
RedVee

Programs: NZ *Gold
So what exactly is the “value” of your booking with a confirmed Elite Upgrade?

I’m presuming it’s just the fare, taxes and any APD applied, but bear with me. I have two different scenarios coming up (for flights that I’ve not yet been told are cancelled, but will be).

Flight 1 - Pacific saver with confirmed elite recognition upgrade to business (option to hold the value of the booking in credit has just become available).

We know that unsuccessful recognition upgrades are recredited, and if they have expired, they disappear. My upgrades were from the last membership year.
But all the terminology on the website relates to recredit of “unconfirmed” recognition upgrades.
So to me the “value” of that booking is a pacific business saver fare.

Flight 2 - Long haul premium economy sale fare, confirmed elite APD upgrade to business before the new rates came into play ($480 APD each way, now $695 each way). Again, the “value” of that booking to me is a long-haul business sale fare. (I had to buy some APD to get to the 4x$480 needed). This booking would be covered by DOT if I wanted a refund rather than a credit.

So any data points from pre-COVID (or post-COVID) on how Air New Zealand deals with confirmed elite upgrades that it had no choice but to renege on?