FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*
Old May 22, 2020, 7:39 am
ISTFlyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by thebigben
It's not really a matter of money but a matter of principle. In a vacuum and if you wanted to really understand what the form was for, then yes, you'd see that it is for a voucher. But you don't necessarily expect that after clicking a "refund" button. You'd just fill in the form and that'd be it. As for my chances of success, well, if CEDR doesn't work it will be up to my legal protection insurance as to whether or not they will take that case. That's where the odds are thinning out, I guess. If all else fails I'll write to some consumer columns in journals to make that experience public so other people will not make the same mistake.

Let's not forget that BA had a perfectly functional cancellation/refund page but they pulled it away with the pandemic.
Most airlines do the same thing thebigben ,

When you click at the refund button on most airlines' website, it redirects you to a voucher page.
TAP Portugal is another example. Lufthansa is another example.

Airlines have to encourage people to get vouchers to ensure their cash-flow and they might often do some tricks like this as removing the online refund option and as far as I think, there is no legal requirement that airlines should have an online refund button for irregularities. BA's policy is simple and available on top of the voucher page as KARFA shared, you need to call them.

And also, probably for personal reasons ( do not want the hotline and talk to someone, etc... ), you preferred to fill the voucher form for a refund thinking that it would work. However, as soon as you accept the voucher, it means that you didn't want to get a refund and you are OK for a voucher.

Sorry to tell you that, legal options would take you nowhere as BA probably has the evidence ( IP number, etc... ) that you agreed to take a voucher rather than a refund.