FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bali, Indonesia
Old May 20, 2020, 1:24 pm
aaupgrade

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mccorry
Thanks for the pointer. Great deal. I share your concern about cancellation, but with the current Marriott cancellation policy you're covered if you need to cancel as long as you make the reservation before 30 June, right? I have flights booked to Bali over Christmas and I'm focussing on Marriott hotels only because of the COVID-19 cancellation policy.
Not sure what your Bali hotel cancellation policy is, but in the case of mine for this coming mid-December (non-holiday period) it may be cancelled up until day before arrival. When I made my reservation in early January it was originally a 3 day cancellation policy. Then, shortly thereafter and up until a few months back the cancellation policy was 30 days prior to arrival but it changed to 1 day cancellation a couple months back. Also at that time the price went down; so I modified my reservation and not only got a lower rate but also got the 1 day cancellation policy in place of my 3 day cancellation policy. I continue to check daily for lower rates and will do so until day before arrival. FWIW, this is for The Laguna LC property. I also check other Bali properties from time to time for good rates; so could potentially change hotels too.

Note: I avoid booking advance purchase non-refundable rates like the coronavirus, unless there is no other option, but that is extremely rare. And in the rare case I do book a non-refundable advance purchase rate, I'll only do so if it is changeable, Years ago (1997-2001) when Vail Marriott (along with ALL other Vail hotels) only did 7 night or more advance purchase reservations, they were changeable so one could modify the booking and get lower rates if they became available; ended up with a few $1000 credit on a couple stays (my stays were usually 2-3 weeks). READ your reservation's CHANGE and CANCELLATION policies BEFORE BOOKING! I did get burned once about 20+ years ago, never again.

The LRR rates appear to be changeable, at least at the Laguna. The rates for my preferred room are very low $115 USD vs $176 at current conversion rates. I think rates will go down more for my mid-December dates so I'll stick with my current fully refundable rate.

Last edited by aaupgrade; May 20, 2020 at 1:30 pm