FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Unexpected destinations - diversions on BA flights.
Old May 19, 2020, 10:58 am
Brighterside

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by morges1
Surprised at C-W-S's lack of exciting incidents.
After a couple of PanAm adventures in the 80s (one stopping at Okinawa after losing an engine over the Pacific), had a couple of BA adventures. One was diverting to Hartfield in Sept 92 on Concorde - long story for another time! The other was on a B777, DEL-LHR, we started circling and releasing fuel. There was a medical emergency and the crew member I spoke to said we were going to land in Tehran. As we landed, it was obvious that we were not in Tehran! The cabin crew thought we were, but having lived there some years earlier I assured them that we were nowhere near the Alborz mountains. Turned out we were in ASB in Turkmenistan. They got the passenger off and turned the 777 round rapidly (although it was probably the first to have landed there!). One interesting thing, talking to the co-pilot at the top of the steps, he said, this is funny - last week I did a landing at ASB on the simulator!! .

I had a LHR-SIN journey and it ended up as LHR-ASB-DEL overnight then DEL-SIN due to medical emergency (crew member had a stroke) - I did manage to retain a very, expensive bottle of whisky in my hand luggage through DEL (crew forgot to tell us to leave it onboard overnight) and we were offloaded in Dehli as HBO.