FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Work from home tech thread
View Single Post
Old May 19, 2020, 6:14 am
Internaut

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I forget how long we are into this (When did it start? What day is it?) but here goes: BT Superfast Fibre, so up to 76mbps down/20mbps up. Just the work laptop, its built in webcam, Logitech wireless keyboard, MX Master mouse and (bought one week before the panic buying started), a 25" Dell Ultrasharp. All good so far. I'd like a better webcam (needs an Elgato Camlink - rarer than rocking horse **** - to use one of my proper cameras) and green screen (also rarer than rocking horse ****) and some lighting bearing in mind the office/bedroom window is behind me. In terms of communication, we do everything on Teams. Daily stand-ups are done via Teams video (though some just participate audio only - their choice). All hands meetings are done using corporate Zoom. Likewise, the Friday virtual pub lunch uses Zoom (though we're thinking of moving to Google Due to get around having to re-start after 40 minutes). VPN has been upgraded and improved, but we are definitely under attack. The super corporate control freak (and sadly very necessary) endpoint protection software, on the corporate Dell, occasionally goes mental!

It's working well for us. On a personal level, I'm happy work beyond 8PM tonight in order to enjoy more of the good weather forecasted for tomorrow. Professionally, I worry it's working too well. Someone, somewhere, must surely be looking at all that empty, expensive office space and thinking "Why?"