FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Unexpected destinations - diversions on BA flights.
Old May 18, 2020, 10:16 pm
KeaneJohn

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I like a few others was due to travel to GIB last March and ended up in AGP.

I also lived in Jersey from 2001-2003 having moved there for work from Southampton. This was when BA flew to both SOU and LGW from Jersey. Invariably LGW was significantly cheaper so I’d often book there if going home and get the train. On one occasion. The LGW flight was diverting to SOU and I said great I’ll just go home. I was told this wouldn’t be allowed as this flight didn’t have permits to transport people to SOU so the Carib crew told me have to reclaim my bag and suddenly need to go to the toilet and miss the coach to Gatwick.

Thw other time was after offering to travel on a later flight at NCL down to LHR due to an equipment change the flight was overbooked and it was the start of the October half term. There was a fire in outbuilding at NCL that had taken out the landing lights on the runway and closed the airport. After leaving the gate and going to the naughty corner at LHR for an hour the aircraft took off for Durham Tees Valley. We were told to reclaim bags and wait for coaches however only 2 coaches arrived and 3 were needed. The lovely lounge staff heard of our predicament and brought supplies (sandwiches, crisps, fruit, soft drinks and beer)) to the remain8ng passengers. After 90 mins our coach turned up and we hurtled down the M1 and half expected the driver to say he would be taking us all the way to London but we arrived at MME, boarded the aircraft for. a short 22 mins in the air flight down to LHR. The ones who had been offloaded from the earlier flight were given prepaid VISA debit cards for the EU261 delay (was 3 hours later). We were told to keep this hidden from other passengers as they wouldn’t be getting EU261 as this was beyond the control of BA.