FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US DOT rule applicability
View Single Post
Old May 17, 2020, 2:18 pm
Often1
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ClanJ
So have had my reply from my NZ2/NZ2 Dot complaint and with out coping the whole ::

"Based on the information you have provided, your complaint appears to fall under the Department's rules. We will forward your complaint to the airline and ask the company to respond directly to you with a copy to us. Airlines are required to acknowledge receipt of a consumer complaint within 30 days and provide a substantive response to the complainant within 60 days. We will review the airline's response. If you need to contact me, please include your name and case number (see above). I will make every effort to reply to your message within one business day."

So guess from here just wait till AIRNZ responds?
Yes, but it appears that US DOT has already determined that your ticket falls under its rules and that it has jurisdiction. That being the case, the sole questions are whether the flight was cancelled and then whether you agreed to a voucher / credit in lieu of a refund. Presuming yes and then no, there really is only one answer NZ can afford to give.

DOT does not act on individual instances. Rather, it pursues those who violate, ignore warnings and then continue to violate. NZ's landing rights in the US are at stake here, it would surprise me if it falls on its sword over your complaint. These are rules which have been in effect since 2011 and are hardly new.