FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Guestimates on NZ Border Restrictions going
Old May 14, 2020, 2:02 pm
SeaProf

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by Ged
Likely as long as a piece of string but making some plans for year end when we are flying to USA as a family - or not. Might redirect the efforts to Australia if we become a bubble. Knowing what has happened with some of the planes, some routes, some of the crew disestablishment and general Air NZ comms about them being a local carrier for the foreseeable, can you see any regular flights resuming to the USA cities by year end. By regular I mean, we won't be going through 2 weeks of quarantine etc when we arrive back in country. Back to 90% normality of travel.

Appreciate any knowledge that can help influence the decisions etc. Keep telling myself it's 6 months away but seeing the ongoing challenges globally that doesn't seem that far away now.

Cheers
In my uninformed opinion, no, I cannot see regular flights resuming between the USA and NZ for a very long time. I don't see myself being allowed to enter NZ until a vaccine is widespread, if that ever happens (no guarantees). Quite honestly, I would avoid the USA like the "plague" for the time being - my gut feeling is it will get much, much worse in the country before this is over. Stick to countries that have a plan for how to deal with the virus, not countries that are just winging it.