FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Weird refund questions, WS combining cash spent with WS $. Other options?
Old May 14, 2020, 9:31 am
coastgirl

Weird refund questions, WS combining cash spent with WS $. Other options?

Apologies, I understand people are probably getting tired of the 1,000,000 refund questions. I hope this one is odd enough to spark your interest!

We purchased our tickets (family of 4) with a combo of CC pmt, WS$ and a couple of companion vouchers.
-Companion vouchers will be returned and extended, no problem, hooray for WS!
-My insurance will reimburse my cash amount (CC actually...) as long as it's not still being held in my travel bank.
-According to the rep we spoke to this morning, WS$ can ONLY be returned to a travel bank, which includes the cash amount. They can't break the WS$ apart from the cash at this point.

So--I accept all my refund (including $2k of WS$) as a travel bank, OR I get my cash back by cancelling and making an insurance claim--but lose the WS$.

When I booked the trip back in August, I checked to make sure insurance and WS$ were compatible, as I know points are frequently excluded from insurance. WS told me at the time that if I cancelled, they would reimburse my points for a fee. Insurance would cover the fee, so I knew I'd be covered. The gentleman this morning said they aren't charging the reinstatement fee, and also can't break it up. I'd much rather pay the fee (which insurance will then cover for me).

After speaking iwht him I called insurance co (Tugo) to clarify, and got to this point. I'm waiting for a WS call-back...first one I scheduled is already 45 min overdue so hopefully the second call back request for later today will help. My first strategy is ask for it to be done the way I expected, and see if I get a different answer from a different rep.

Any other thoughts or experience that may help me?