FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)
Old May 9, 2020, 4:08 pm
wco81
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
But until then, or until restrictions are lifted, yes, three weeks for the one week of vacation. Assuming restaurants, pools, beaches, will be open for even the one week. They may not be depending when you travel. Plus, if you spend any time on Hawaii travel forums, it won't take long for you to feel the hostility to visitors. There was an article posted about one family having it's tires slashed on their rental car. Some residents are actually making thinly veiled threats to potentially visitors, basically saying they're "taking matters in their own hand" and officials are looking the other way when they do, so come at your own risk type of vibe.

Lots of other states and US territories being much more civil, with a much more welcoming and emphatic tone to visitors - even those that also have current 14 day quarantines themselves. I've pretty much decided to take the 25K-35K I spend in Hawaii every year for a 2-3 week vacation someplace else. Even though everything is likely to be lifted in September when I normally visit. The message and tone coming out of those forums is so negative and hateful, it just makes me want to spend my hard earned vacation dollars someplace else.
But how long are restaurants and other services which depend on the tourism trade going to survive?

Or the vacation condos, presumably those people still have to pay mortgages, maybe a management company, utilities.

Let's see how long the natives remain hostile as tourist money dries up. Are there many stores and restaurants which can survive only with resident clientele?