FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)
Old May 9, 2020, 2:44 pm
cmtlatitudes

Originally Posted by wco81
https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/tr...-travel-forms/

Anyone know how their quarantine works?

You have to stay 2 weeks so you'd have to book accommodations for 2 weeks before the days you plan to visit?

So a 1-week visit becomes a 3-week booking?

They are also now 1) banning rental cars to visitors during the two week quarantine period, and 2) asking hotels to give visitors "one time use key-cards" to their rooms. The one time use is so is visitors leave the room, breaking quarantine, they'll have to ask the hotel for re-entry. At that point the hotel would be asked to contact the police and report them.

No problem with that, assuming Hawaii also for returning residents: 1) confiscates their private registered automobiles for the quarantine period, and 2) have police guards, ankle-monitoring, or some such other equivalent procedure to the one-time entry to enforce the quarantine returning residents are supposed to be doing in their own homes. Or confine returning residents in a hotel room also. (None of that happening right now.)

Short term vacation rentals to visitors are also prohibited right now. So a visitor can't even rent a nice home on the water for the quarantine, drive straight there in a taxi, and have the house stocked in advance by a service, and have an option for a decent, although restricted, visit during their quarantine. They have to spend the quarantine in a hotel room, never allowed to leave the room that they must pay for. There may be some middle ground at timeshare/condos, if the properties are still open. There is much lively and heated discussion about this on various Hawaii travel forums. While a returning resident may have full run of their nice house and yard and car and no particular specifics monitoring or restrictions other than their word they will self quarantine.

I assume it's only a matter of time before attorneys will start to have a field day with some of the inequities.

But until then, or until restrictions are lifted, yes, three weeks for the one week of vacation. Assuming restaurants, pools, beaches, will be open for even the one week. They may not be depending when you travel. Plus, if you spend any time on Hawaii travel forums, it won't take long for you to feel the hostility to visitors. There was an article posted about one family having it's tires slashed on their rental car. Some residents are actually making thinly veiled threats to potentially visitors, basically saying they're "taking matters in their own hand" and officials are looking the other way when they do, so come at your own risk type of vibe.

Lots of other states and US territories being much more civil, with a much more welcoming and emphatic tone to visitors - even those that also have current 14 day quarantines themselves. I've pretty much decided to take the 25K-35K I spend in Hawaii every year for a 2-3 week vacation someplace else. Even though everything is likely to be lifted in September when I normally visit. The message and tone coming out of those forums is so negative and hateful, it just makes me want to spend my hard earned vacation dollars someplace else.