FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UK arrivals - pre-departure, quarantine and post-arrival [currently no requirements]
Old May 9, 2020, 2:31 am
IAMORGAN

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
It’s the bluntness of what’s being reported that irritates me at this stage. Greece has basically no local transmission now but parts of US are suffering, so why should they be treated the same. Just feels like a dog-whistle policy (“dirty, diseased foreigners”) rather than an evidence based policy at this stage.

(When you’re doing a pretty good job locally, eg HK and Singapore, the blunt approach is fine because pretty much everybody is worse than you...)

ETA - and Ireland is supposedly exempt. We’re doing a better job than UK (hard not to!) but in absolute terms a visitor from Germany, Greece or Denmark is no greater risk. Maybe it’s too much hassle to say the rules will apply slightly differently in GB vs. NI but surely easy to differentiate by type of arrival - sea / air / land?
Public health isn’t absolute - it’s about mitigating the risks. For good historical reasons we have a common travel area with the Republic of Ireland, so I suspect that is why. I wonder whether restrictions will apply to Channel Islands / Isle of Man.