FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question about how to get money back from Austrian Airlines
Old May 8, 2020, 6:13 pm
Vit007

Programs: SPG
Question about how to get money back from Austrian Airlines

Hello,

What is the best course of action to get the money back from Austrian Airlines for the cancelled flight? The flight was Canada-EU-non EU. The ticket was purchased through Expedia to use up the points I had through the bank credit card. The points were ~$300 out of $1100 ticket price. The charge on the credit card showed the full price charged by airline, and than ~ (-300$) from the points.

Here’s what I am thinking of doing in this sequence. Any suggestions on what else to do or how to modify the steps below?

1. Contact the airline in writing on through the web form https://www.austrian.com/Contact/All...m.aspx?cform=3 and via email [email protected] stating that I require the refund and I do not accept the credit. This is to have the paper trail. Should I mention Article 8 point 1a of EU regulation 261/2004? Any other suggestions on what to write? Save the screenshot of both webform submission and email. Save the screenshot of response, if any. Does Austrian Airlines normally respond twice - first time when the request for refund is approved and the second time when the refund is issued?
2. Do I need to contact Expedia prior to charge back? If yes, contact Expedia in writing on through the website stating that I require the refund and I do not accept the credit. Should I mention EU regulation 261/2004?
3. Contact the credit card for the charge back using the online portal (if possible). Provide the screen shots from above.
4. File a complaint with Canadian Transport Agency. Is there an equivalent in Austria?
5. If the above three steps fail, file a lawsuit in a small claim court. Should I be using airline office in the airport or ticket sales office in Toronto to send the claim to?

Thanks!

Last edited by Vit007; May 8, 2020 at 6:48 pm