FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex USA COVID-19 temporary bonuses
View Single Post
Old May 6, 2020, 2:25 pm
bryanb

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Magna
VoIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) services aren't included, but Google Fi is both VoIP and traditional cellular (MVNO) through T-Mobile (I think?), so it'll be stretch if AmEx gives us the credit.

A previous poster got credit using Verizon Prepaid, do you think that slipped through or all Prepaid from the big 4 would count towards the credit?
I feel like the way the offer is worded doesn't intend to exclude Google Fi or pre-paid wireless services.
"Get up to $20 back in statement credits each month you use your Card on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers through 12/31/20."
Obviously, the T&Cs probably give them lots of outs. Also, I wouldn't really classify Google Fi as a VOIP provider, any more than I would classify T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon, etc., since they also allow phones to connect through Wi-Fi networks. Hopefully the apparent exclusion of Google Fi is just because it hasn't been recoded in the system yet.
Originally Posted by rkb2530
On my Verizon bill I get a $5.00 per line discount for autopay combined with paying by debit card. My discount is greater than the AMEX Platinum wireless credit. Trying to figure out a way to take advantage of the credit. It appears that paying for a portion of my monthly bill with a Verizon gift card does not invalidate the discount. Hence my question. I may roll the dice and try it.
Originally Posted by firemandan9
Due to the number of lines I get a $50 auto pay discount. Verizon's terms are clear that any use of a credit card on your bill could result in losing the auto pay discount but don't seem to prohibit gift cards.

The real question is does buying a gift Verizon gift card online or in store trigger the Amex credit?
As a Verizon customer, I really hope there's a way to keep the autopay discount and pay with the Amex card. My monthly discount is $10 per billing cycle. In the worst case, I wonder if I could time two Amex payments of at least $20 each (for example, on May 28 and June 2), so that I can get $40+ in credits while losing only one month of Verizon autopay discount?