FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fairmont Black Friday Gift Card Sale Returns!
Old May 4, 2020, 8:06 pm
CanadaDH

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by escape4
Darn, I had not noticed this was gone. Even if demand is rock bottom I don't see what it would hurt to keep selling so it cannot be good news.
I was just browsing the Costco site, and it doesn't seem like the removal of the LE certificates is specific to the LE program. It appears that Costco has pulled a lot of their certificates. What's rather amusing, is if you select "Gift Cards & Tickets" from the main shopping menu, guess what image is used to drill into the "Gift Certificates" sub-category?

When you follow that link, the only thing available right now is a vehicle roadside assistance program membership. No other retailers or programs certificates for sale. Maybe if you're based in other parts of the country, you get other options (some of Costco's items are regional), but that's all I see available.

This gives me a bit of hope that they might return in the future, and perhaps Costco just pulled all certificates relating to travel and other activities that are effectively shut down right now. Given these are electronic certificates that don't take up shelf space, and are issued when purchases, there is no inventory cost for Costco to still offer them. Maybe they just don't want to be selling something that their members can't redeem, preventing future complaints from people then wanting to reverse the sale.

Fortunately, I still have ~$5,000 worth of these LE certs in my stash, but hopefully they bring them back again before 2021 travel starts to pick up.