FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)
Old May 4, 2020, 1:58 am
mtofell

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
I get CNN on cable TV here and compared to Japanese TV, their reporting comes across as scaremongering, with panel discussions comprised only of experts who share a "shut it down till everything is safe" point of view and no consensus on what "everything is safe" means.
CNN has turned into a tabloid over the last few years.... their reporting has one goal and it's to disrupt and discredit the current administration (obviously, an easy target but they are totally overplaying their hand to the point of becoming irrelevant - anyone can check the ratings drop if they don't believe me).

As for your other items, it's interesting to hear how Japan is doing things and can lead one to wonder if all the shutdowns, closings and other measures here in the US are even doing much. There's already strong evidence that Corona swept through large areas of the country long before all of our reactionary measures. There's no doubt it's hammering NY/NJ and some other areas but why the relatively light impact on large population masses like So Cal?

Bringing this back to the topic of a 14-day quarantine for getting into Hawaii, I think it's a total wildcard. I could see Ige panicking with revenue drop and opening things back up but I could also see him going overboard the other direction and holding things closed through the summer (after all, he's still getting his paycheck). All indications so far point to the latter for sure. It's kind of funny because the quarantine was implemented 2+ weeks later than I expected which made me think it would be lifted soon... as though Ige felt forced to do something. The way he's talking now, Hawaii's economy is going to be in shambles before they even consider allowing dirty tourism to start up again.