FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it all worth it?
View Single Post
Old May 3, 2020, 5:42 am
lloydah

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Originally Posted by subject2load
I can see a revival - or should I say, increase - in the attraction of long-haul travel by rail, especially on some of the more scenic routes. Not the immediate solution perhaps for trips when speed is key .... and certainly not if you need to hop over to, say, New York - but, in other scenarios, undoubtedly more of an all-round adventure / experience than hanging around airports, security queues, noisy lounges, kept waiting on airbridges and (increasingly more often) terminal transfer buses.

Not sure whether merely a coincidence (or maybe the fact that I have been spending more time than usual in front of TV screens) but there seems to have been a plethora of (enjoyable, often alluring) programmes recently depicting various iconic train journeys in different parts of the world, and I suspect they may well be having a subconscious impact in the minds of many of us who normally look no further than the available flight options between two cities ..... with a keen eye also to the TP + Avios calculator chart
Not sure if it was iconic but last year Mrs L and I took 10 days travelling round Norway by train. Very scenic and seemed quite easy, very little stress. In fact the most stressful bit was BA cancelling our return flight the morning of departure and the scramble to make to rearranged departure.