FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]
Old May 2, 2020, 6:33 pm
peteremcc

Originally Posted by peteremcc
So, I had a certificate attached to a booking that needed to be delayed

Hotel had gone up in category since making the booking.

Reservation phone people said they wouldn't be able to attach the certificate to the new booking.

I said I understood that is the normally policy, but surely in a situation like this, they could figure something out, seems odd that while every other industry in the world is trying to encourage people to reschedule bookings, Marriott is forcing me to cancel instead, etc.

Got no-where. Told multiple times, nothing we can do.

In the end I gave up, but then on the off chance, I emailed the hotel directly.

I figured it's mostly in their interest that the stay doesn't get cancelled, as if I cancel rather than rebook, I'll inevitably end up using the voucher at a different hotel.

The hotel emailed back within an hour saying they'd changed it, I received a new reservation confirmation, and on the website the booking says there's a certificate attached, which seems promising.

Anything I can do (or ask them to check) to make sure it has actually "worked" and avoid showing up at the hotel and have them tell me, sorry your certificate isn't valid, please pay our ridiculous last-minute cash rate?
I can now also report that another hotel in which I had a points reservation (with full points, not advanced), was willing/able to change the dates of my reservation even though the points required had changed from 40,000 to 60,000 / night since the original booking.

The first person who emailed back said it couldn't be done, I then pointed out that it was odd that every other industry is asking people to reschedule rather than cancel, yet they seemed to want me to cancel and stay at a different hotel, rather than theirs, which prompted them to reply that they would ask a supervisor at their hotel, who ultimately approved the change.