FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Curious why United still flying to and from Australia
Old May 2, 2020, 6:07 pm
Mwenenzi
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raidersfan1
Was scheduled to fly MEL-SFO in August. Just saw the schedule update and that flight (UA 61) now says in my reservation:

This flight segment is cancelled or not confirmed.

It seems there is no UA metal out of MEL within at least days of that departure and I was not re-booked on another flight. So I will assume that UA is suspending all MEL service for August. Time to call for a refund unless the agents try to force me on to a QF flight connection through SYD that leaves within 6 hours of original departure?
Given the current covid-19 pandemic and continuing deaths/infection rates in USA IMHO cannot see the Australian government allowing entry from USA this calendar year, unless an Au citizen/resident or a specific exemption.
On current rules you would need to do 14 days isolation in Sydney, before going to Melbourne.
Will be flights SYD-MEL, but only 1(?) per day now. In August would expect many more, but not at August 2019 levels

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/t...hs-per-million
USA 184.19 deaths per million (and not slowing down much)
Canada 79.38 deaths per million
Australia 3.53 deaths per million (and slowing down. Few new cases per day)
New Zealand 3.94 deaths per million (and slowing down. Few new cases per day)

Edit
From another thread:--> Odds of an Australia trip 28 June 2020

Originally Posted by IMOA
Originally Posted by wanderlustFL
This indeed is a depressing thought. In January of this year we plonked down a substantial sum in airfare for travel in late November-December of this year on Qantas to/within AU from the US for a special anniversary trip. I do hope things improve enough in 7 plus months for us to actually go.
Coming from the US I don’t like your chances. I expect that NZ and pacific islands will be first in and then next will be asian countries with a good track record like Taiwan and Hong Kong. US is currently one of the epicentre’s and is opening up long before it is under control so will probably get second, third and fourth waves. To get to Australia in november, i.e. before realistic chance of a vaccine or effective treatment, you will need to have pretty much eradicated the virus from your shores and have no open borders with countries that haven’t. Chances of the US being there would probably be 10% at best.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 2, 2020 at 7:02 pm Reason: fixing link