FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA to cut up to 12,000 jobs in "restructuring and redundancy programme"
Old Apr 29, 2020, 8:02 am
navylad

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by BAeuro
Unfortunately I think it comes down to the greatest good for the greatest number. If BA didn’t act now and make some redundant, then there probably wouldn’t be a BA in 3/4 years. Arguably, it’s better to save the airline and the rest of the jobs by losing 12,000 (of which half could be voluntary redundancies). In this industry, being overly nice doesn’t get you anywhere, if airlines decide not to lay anyone off, trying to be caring, they will fail.

BA has taken action ahead of many others to ensure it’s safe for the future, Virgin and the others needs to do the same. They need to cut any costs they can and I’m sorry to say employees are always a good place to start.

Im not saying Willie and Alex aren’t acting for themselves too, of course they want BA to be as cost effective and profitable as possible, their jobs depend on it. But they aren’t cutting jobs out of malice, they just want BA to survive and be financially stable after this.
I agree, although so hope that the situation improved more promptly that feared allowing for job losses to be minimised.

The BALPA response comes across as a bit head in sand, although that may be positional rather than genuine shock at the position.