FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)
View Single Post
Old Apr 28, 2020, 8:39 am
ariyo15

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
I was digging around Westlaw last night and found this gem!!! Petersen et al. v. US Airways et al.

For those who don't remember (this was before my time), FreeCause (now Rakuten) screwed up a promotion for US Airways (now AA) and Hawaiian (still HA) regarding data storage offered by EasyCGI back in 2011. The purchases were (largely) cancelled and the promotion (largely) dishonored. The following year, Randy (the founder of FT) and friends decided to sue all three parties (airline, portal, merchant) in Massachusetts court and based on the docket, they prevailed/settled the day before trial (as these things often do). After 4 long years of litigation! No costs were awarded by the court but I hope they got their attorney fees out of the settlement! I presume an NDA was in play. Does anyone have any insider info?

I don't know all the details, and certainly don't know the settlement - you're right, I can say with certainty that an NDA was in play - but I do know that ~200 million miles were "owed" to them before it all went to s***t. I think of the 26 listed on the suit, the amounts ranged from 2 million to 55 million per person. Yea, crazy!