FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flight Cancellation: 6 months for refund - is it legal?
Old Apr 26, 2020, 1:26 am
Eltham

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
I am shocked & amazed that people think with a single press of a button, airlines can process 10,000x the number of refunds & cancellations they normally deal with in a month.

Patient? I would not call this patient at all. It is perfectly reasonable to expect it could take 6 months to get a refund because each of these need to be manually refunded. Have you ever refunded a charge before? Have you ever actually done the physical act of doing that? Because it actually takes literal time. Literal time which under normal circumstances is fine, because it takes perhaps 1 minute to do, but when you times that by 10,000 suddenly it literally takes months to work through the backlog. Just do the maths about how many they can feasibly go through in a day.

Just because an old law created before a pandemicexists doesn't mean it's logistically feasible to follow it right now. People aren't capable of magic. Airlines aren't Genies. Yet people think they should be.

Which is why, as I said, we're already seen laws & rules changing. Hard fast chargeback rules have been massively changed & adapted for impacted industries. Why? because the old rules are simply ridiculous under the current circumstances.

Why you equate my post with "donating money" to Air NZ, when I was flat out addressing the issue of is 6 months reasonable for processing insane amounts of refunds, I have no clue, because I was not suggesting that at all. My point, is that 6 months for some customers, is not at all shocking, once you start actually doing the time maths.
The level of business naïveté is what’s shocking and amazing in this post.