FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seriously Thinking about a road trip
View Single Post
Old Apr 23, 2020, 9:12 pm
DenverBrian
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by pgh234
Not crazy at all. Don't let all of the Corona-Karens drag you down. They can waste the next two years of their life hiding in their house. (The 'Rona is here to stay and not going anywhere) Wash your hands, exhibit common sense, and you will be fine. I wish I had time in my family life and work life to take a low traffic cross country drive myself right now. I have never been able to do that before.

For the airfare...is $318 the cheapest you can get? I have to imagine that is a decent round trip price now...not one-way. I imagine you'd get the upgrade...not that it really matters.
Extremely short sighted. 'Rona is here to stay, true...but currently without a vaccine OR cure OR palliative if you get it.

That makes it unique among all illnesses taking down 50K people a year (or more) in the US.

Sure, you can roll the dice and decide you're immortal/strong/young/fearless/whatever.

But if you DO get it...then the options start narrowing fast.

Either you're symptom free but shedding virus everywhere you go for several days...or...

You get it but only have "mild symptioms," which in 2020 means symptoms that'll knock you out for several days, worse than the flu, but not quite sick enough to need a hospital...or...

You get it as a severe case, meaning you're off to the hospital, where you now have a 50/50 shot of needing a ventilator - IF the overrun hospital you're at has one available - and then an 80% chance that you'll never come off the ventilator. That is a gentle way of saying you die.

But hey, YOLO. Head on out. Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones. And if you do go positive and start shedding virus, hey, too bad for every person you come in contact with in four days across the country.