FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)
View Single Post
Old Apr 23, 2020, 2:06 pm
Global321

Originally Posted by asdfghjk
Does anyone have any update on the current status of this issue? Since the ... thread is closed and I don't have access to the Reddit thread, I have no clues to what is going on now. Thanks.
DOT took quick action due to the number of complaints about airlines; DOT gave the airlines a chance to correct their mistake and refund people's money on canceled tickets.

Oh you mean about closed accounts? Naaa.... The number of complaints was relatively small and no prescriptive action was taken. (1% of complaints through Dec-Jan complaints, 4% of January and 11% of February.)

The fact DOT reacted with prescriptive action so quickly on the lack of processing refunds in Mar/Apr (told the airlines to fix it or they would take action) strongly indicates DOT will not be pursuing action against AA for their FF program.

Could it change? Theoretically, yes. Will it? Nope.
Given the current environment - and the fact airlines are fighting to survive - no way DOT takes this on. From the public perspective - some FF tried to defraud the airline. I am not saying that is what happened, but that is how it looks to the casual flyer/average American.

Last edited by mia; Apr 24, 2020 at 9:15 pm