FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Maintaining EuroBonus status - COVID-19
View Single Post
Old Apr 22, 2020, 3:01 pm
fassy

Originally Posted by SASegments
If I read it correctly then you still need to qualify next year. I understand this to be a help to those members that are unable to qualify in their current year as they can't travel. They are considered qualified even if they wouldn't have qualified meaning that this year counts towards LTG and that the following year they'll be EBG. I'd be great if they'd count next year towards LTG but I don't think they will as it would be granting two years of "free" LTG accural. If fligths resume soon then they'll probably think that you have time to qualify.
Not sure if follow your logic. This year wouldn’t be a free year of LTG qualification. I did qualify this year. So, if they extend my status by 12 months, they would give me one free LTG year. Not two.

Anyhow,... let’s analyze:

Due to the extraordinary circumstances, SAS has decided to offer EuroBonus members a 12-month extension on their current membership level.

This benefit will be applied automatically to active Silver, Gold and Diamond EuroBonus accounts

[x] check, I’m EBD

with qualification period expiry date 31 March 2020 until 28 February 2021

[x] check, expiry date September 2020

where member has achieved his/her current member status on own merits, either by earning qualifying points or qualifying flights.

[x] check, got my current EBD by qualifying points in 2018-2019 and collected 65k points in 2019-2020 for EBG in the next period.

That means if you are a Gold member with a qualification period expiry date 30 April 2020 and membership level expiry date 31 July 2020 then your Gold membership level will be extended to 31 July 2021.

[ ] Well, this one reads funny. As I qualified in 2019-2020 only for Gold until now, not for Diamond yet, my current EBD status expires January 2021. So, I thought they should extend my current membership level by 12 months, which would be my EBD Level which should be extended until January 2022.

I would be out of luck, if they say I have to live with EBG for the next year. I cannot fly right now to achieve EBD. So why should that be different from someone who is Silver and cannot get to Gold?

Anyway, assuming 2021 the world will be ok again, I would qualify for at least Gold anyway.

But it would be mean to give people who haven’t qualified in the current year for any status an extra year, while those who did qualify for Gold but can’t get Diamond renewed will get nothing.

Last edited by fassy; Apr 22, 2020 at 3:12 pm