FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Crazy Idea: Thought of putting 48000 miles on a rental car in a one month rental
Old Apr 17, 2020, 1:06 pm
glostix

What happened to all the National, Avis, Enterprise social media reps who showed up on this forum a week ago? Could someone officially weigh in?

From perusing previous threads on this topic, I've seen several different specific numerical limits, most commonly seen "3500 miles in 30 days" (Hertz) thrown around, but I haven't seen it on one of my own rental receipts. I know Hertz has additional terms on their website, I will look there but haven't yet found written confirmation from them.

I have also heard they only really care if they think you are using it for commercial uses, like renting a car and using it for delivery services without telling them.

EDIT: wow these car companies are intent on making it as difficult as possible for customers to know the details of the legal contracts we are entering into, Hert'z actual full T&Cs are nowhere to be found on their homepage or by Googling. I had to find them from another thread here on FT regarding different T&C changes. They are here: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/ememb...dConditions.do

Under "PART II. B. TERMS AND CONDITIONS APPLICABLE TO RENTALS IN NORTH AMERICA" section "3. RETURN" it says:
ORDINARY WEAR DUE TO REASONABLE USE EXCEPTED, YOU MUST RETURN THE CAR TO HERTZ IN THE SAME CONDITION IT IS IN WHEN YOU RECEIVE IT.
Apparently Hertz has removed the language detailing "3500 miles in 30 days" that used to be there ~2017/2018. By Googling for Hertz's T&Cs, I was able to find Dollar Car Rentals' T&Cs, which apparently have not been updated to be consistent w/Hertz (nor spell-checked) since April 2016. In the Dollar T&Cs (https://www.dollar.com/Express/Enrol...onditions.aspx), it says:
ORDINARY WEAR DUE TO REASONABLE USE EXCEPTED, YOU MUST RETURN THE CAR TO DOLLAR IN THE SAME CONDITION IT IS IN WHEN YOU RECEIVE IT. IF YOU EXCEED 3500 MILES DRIVEN IN A 30 DAY PERIOD YOUR RENTAL PRIVILEGES MAY BE REVOLED DUE TO EXCESSIVE WEAR AND TEAR.
That 2nd sentence was deleted from Hertz's terms at some point in the last few years. Someone else please confirm these data as I don't even rent that much, I'm just an annoying smart-aleck who wants to know what I'm getting myself into

Last edited by glostix; Apr 17, 2020 at 2:04 pm