FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can you change a saver ticket to a flex ticket and then cancel?
Old Apr 14, 2020, 1:07 am
sparkj

Programs: CX DM/OWE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by littlevoices
To give you a bit of relevant advice lionelhutz, you may be trying to be a bit too proactive, personally I'd wait until a week before the flight before cancelling:
1. There is a fair chance in the summer there are still disruptions, so you may be able to get your money back fee free (i.e. if Cathay doesn't restart their MEL-HKG flight, if they do it fewer days a week and yours is cancelled)
2. Your travel insurance would presumably cover the disruption (sadly if you don't have any now it won't cover the festival of coruse for any newly purchased one, but may cover any other problems in London at the same time)
3. Cathay may extend their flexible changes for a longer period, i.e. covering the summer, particularly if transits are banned or Australia remains closed (as seems likely for a while)
4. The UK could be a great place to visit in summer if through some miracle the restrictions are fully lifted by then, plenty to see beyond just the festival
I would second this, just wait a bit... I had a booking to China during CNY. Seeing the virus spread during Jan, I already made sure to book everything else (e.g. hotels) on a refundable rate. In the end I had to wait till 2 days before I was due to fly, and they finally announced free cancellations.