FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): Q&A, OK for partners, 2 year life (Dec 2022)
Old Apr 6, 2020, 2:30 pm
M2inOR
Formerly known as mmihalik

I have several flights that were scheduled for March and April 2020 that I canceled in March after countries started travel restrictions, Germany cruise was canceled, and United started rescheduling flights.

These were all purchased in biz class or economy; no basic economy flights.

Of course, I used United's online forms to apply refunds, and have batted zero; UA replied after several weeks that a refund was not possible, but I could use the value of the tickets towards the purchase of other trips.

When I go online at united.com to make new reservations, for later this year, I get the following error for my canceled biz class PDX-TXL round trip:
-
"We are unable to process your request. Please see the message below for details.
No flight schedule could be retrieved using your search criteria. Please use the form below to start a new search."

There was no form below.
-
When I revisit the Refunds page at united.com I see this:"If you've previously canceled your trip, you'll soon be able to convert your unused ticket into a travel certificate for more flexibility. Check back soon."

When I checked by canceled domestic flights, I was able to apply the canceled flight credits to new dates in July and August. And on the payment page, I could see that unused credit would result in an ETC.

Any idea why the US-Germany canceled flights credit could not be used, and why I got the error? I just wanted to get that expensive Europe trip cancelation taken care of.

Thanks in advance.