FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - {prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:31 am
etiene

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Keter
It's an obvious web bug that people including my friend (but not me yet...) can make changes to the first fare component and keep the same fare which is no longer available, this contradicts the industry rules (IATA resolution 017f) and individual airline rules. I am happy that bug exists though!
I think you're right, though some even claim to have changed first fare component on the phone.

Originally Posted by Nigel Spencer
what do you mean by the .first far component’?
Most tickets will have two fare components, in this case BUD-(US) and (US)-BUD. Each fare component made up of a number of flights. In my case, the ticket I was reporting I couldn't change the first TATL leg for was BUD-AMS-DTW-SDF//BNA-MSP-AMS-BUD. I had assumed the fare components to be BUD-SDF and BNA-BUD, as these were the destinations highlighted at the low price on Google Flights. However, I just realised that had I looked closer at the results on ITA Matrix I would probably have found that I actually had a round-trip fare BUD-DTW-BUD [so fare components BUD-DTW and DTW-BUD] - hence I can change anything after touching down at DTW because that is then the return fare component. So now I have BUD-AMS-DTW-BNA//LEX-ATL-AMS-BUD but it's still presumably a Detroit round trip with an embedded surface sector. I was puzzled a couple of weeks ago when I couldn't find the fare filed in ExpertFlyer for SDF or BNA - now I know why as I can see it for DTW.

To explore this, play around some in ITA and then read the fare rules - you can even use this fare to do so [it's just more expensive now] by adding
f ..I2FFHU
to the extension codes under Advanced Controls.