FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight
Old Apr 3, 2020, 8:07 pm
Brianguy11

Programs: united
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, that's correct. Your ticket is refundable less the cancellation fee.

None of that is relevant for your case; don't worry.

Here are your options:

1 - Refund now, and get everything back -- as a credit to your card -- except for the cancellation fee.
2 - Wait until closer to the travel date, hoping for a change fee waiver. If there is a waiver, change her ticket to the cheapest one you can find; the remainder will be refunded to your card.
3 - Wait until closer to the travel date, hoping for the flight she's on to be cancelled. Then, ask for a refund of the entire amount.

You should be able to find the amount of the cancellation fee in the fare rules on the itinerary, which you can look up from the United My Trips screen.

The 12-months-to-refund stuff shouldn't really apply, because you have a refundable ticket. However, it's possible UA could decide to play hardball about not waiving the cancellation fee.

Personally, I would be inclined to cancel it now and eat the cancellation fee, as that simplifies things a lot. It also protects you against a change of heart on her part regarding allowing you to retain the value of the ticket.

Thank you!
One last question, for this option: ""2 - Wait until closer to the travel date, hoping for a change fee waiver. If there is a waiver, change her ticket to the cheapest one you can find; the remainder will be refunded to your card.""

If I do that, then book her on a $29 United Basic Economy ticket (and she doesn't make the flight), United will automatically refund the remaining ~$1970 right back onto my card, with no restrictions or hoops to jump through? Sounds a little too good to be true haha.

Interestingly, this note from United is now on my Trips page:
If you’ve previously canceled your trip, you’ll soon be able to convert your unused ticket into a travel certificate for more flexibility. Check back soon.