FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CX provides status extension and Club Points Relief
Old Apr 2, 2020, 9:59 pm
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Will CX continue to award Club Points Relief after this month? Once my 140 gets credited I will hit 1600 and I'm thinking of hitting the reset button by May 1 instead of waiting for the end of my membership year on June 30,2020 that way if there's any points relief awarded for May and June, it could go towards my 2021-2022 year.
clearly, they're going to have to do "something" at a minimum for May. That's a given, considering their massive 96% schedule cuts go at least through May 31. The question is what. Also, if I'm speculating, I think at this point they will do something at least for May and June, minimum. Since even if the schedule starts coming back somewhat on June 1, there's no way anything about that month is normal, even in the best-case scenario. I think absolute absolute best case scenario is that July things are starting to feel more normal again travel wise. What are the odds of that, I don't know.

I think if I were in CX's shoes, I wouldn't want to keep doing rolling updates. Aka, I wouldn't want to just extent extra relief points for May, and then have to revisit it all over again 1 months from now. So my choices and recommendations. Yes, I'm throwing my hat in this ring:
a.) give Relief Points for May + June,
b.) give Relief Points for a longer period like May through 3Q end,
c.) extend everyone's membership year 1 year. But this option is complicated with CX because of the unique system where everyone has a different month-end. It's much easier to extend when everyone ends on the calendar year-end. For example, what if you have a June 30 expiration, and next month CX says your membership year is extended by 12 months? So I see some major winners here (people, for example with March year-ends who just reset, because they would essentially get 2 more years at the current level) and losers (people with April, May, June, July years-ends, especially if they would've reset anyway, since they will basically just get about 1 more year at the current level). I guess a way to alleviate this would be to give a different amount of extra months based on your reset month, so here is my "d"
d.) +14 months for Jan month-end, +13 months for Feb month-end, +12 months for anyone with March year-end, +24 months for April, +23 for May, +22 for July, +21 for August and so forth. This extends everyone one extra year past what they already have. Because March people are already reset until March 31, 2021, so my formula would extend them to March 31, 2022. Whereas a +24 month reset for Aprils (even though it sounds double, it's not) would give them until April 30, 2022, aka the same benefits as the March people, since the Aprils haven't reset yet. Make sense?) But then I think this "d" is complicated, even though it's probably the correct way to do it in theory. You could also do this with 18 months too, just subtract 6 from all my numbers. Or 3 months extra, or really any number CX decides to give.
e.) CX could totally change the system and make it year-end, I don't think it would be too hard. And extend everyone's current status through December 31, 2021. And then, from this time forward, everyone's years are just calendar years not "membership years" with different month-ends. Aka everything you're earning now until Dec 31, 2021 goes towards what status you will be in 2022. And from this time forth CX will be a normal calendar system.

Options c, d and e mean no more Relief Points.

Anyone have any ideas?

There is some real strategy here too, since it's possible they change the game up here slightly. Quite fun to speculate and a nice change of pace from the ongoing situation.

Last edited by QRC3288; Apr 2, 2020 at 10:08 pm Reason: typos