FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Gold Upgrade Voucher Discussion and Wiki Thread
Old Apr 2, 2020, 9:41 am
wenzlydale

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott TfL, Hertz 5*
GGL line not allowing use of a GUF1 with an AMEX 2-4-1 voucher

Originally Posted by Hawk777
Using a Gold Upgrade voucher with an Amex 2-4-1 voucher
You can combine a GUF with a companion voucher (also known as a 2-4-1). This is a great way to really get a really good value use for the voucher as you will save a very large amount of Avios.

For example, a pair of F off-peak reward seats LHR-SYD rtn would set you back a total of 680,000 Avios for two without a companion voucher, and 340,000 Avios with a companion voucher. Instead you can use your companion voucher to effectively book a pair of CW reward seats (250,000 Avios total off-peak for two for a return) and then also apply your GUF to go in to F which will cost no extra Avios. Your combined use of a GUF and a companion voucher have therefore saved you a total of 680,000-250,000 = 430,000 Avios

agent is right guf2 can be used with 241 but not guf1 you got lucky first time with an agent error
I'm quite embarrassed now ! It does seem that I was lucky and shouldn't have got away with it !

Ironically, I have discovered that I've used a GUF2 to upgrade myself on a future solo journey.

I could get the GGL line to swap the GUFs between bookings, then I would not feel that I've cheated the system !

As neither trip is for 9 months, I'll spare the GGL line the unnecessary work until nearer the time.