FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A quick out and back to rural Malawi
View Single Post
Old Apr 1, 2020, 2:38 pm
maastrichtmouse

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurostar, Miles&Smiles
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I have long been interested in visiting. How would you asses the safety situation there traveling overland and going to the lake? Both safety from people and wildlife. Thx!
Oh Malawi is very easy. It's the warm heart of Africa and very much recommend. At no point in the entire country did I feel physically in danger, apart from the cooking. I recommend visiting! It's beautiful. In the capital, check out the wildlife sanctuary too. Domestic flights out to the lake and islands are also available, though pricey. The road is just as easy and you see more of the country. Flights to the country are generally a bit erratic. I've flown in several times with Kenya Airways and also with Ethiopian. KQ fly the E175 while the last time I flew Ethiopian it was an A359. Immigration took about 2.5 hours when we arrived on the A359.... There is less than nothing in the airport.

Bring as much cash as you can - the ATM has a limit of about €80 per transaction. The biggest note available is 2000 Kwacha (about €2.5) so you can imagine you need quite a bit of money... Dollars, pounds and Euros easily exchangeable.

Lilongwe is a safe capital. I wandered around frequently even in the dark. Traffic is generally well mannered. Best way is to rent a car and drive. Make sure you take on fuel regularly, as it's not always available. It's very easy going. Down by the lake, Annie's Lodge is lovely, right on the water. The catfish fresh from the lake is excellent. There is plenty of game in the north, and take the usual precautions as you would around any animals. There's plenty of options for seeing the game. Blantyre is small but more bustling than Lilongwe, and the gateway to Zomba and Mulanje. Mount Mulanje is stunning and well worth seeing if you like hiking.